Forgotten Admin Password :$ & Security

Security related issues

Forgotten Admin Password :$ & Security

Postby cg180759 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:24 am

Hi All!

First time this is happening to me lol! I changed my password for the admin user on OSDial, brand new install etc. How do I reset the password please? Do I need to login to the database and change it from there? Please advise.

Also, is it ok to put Fail2Ban and IPTables on the OSDial server? Or is there some sort of security system in place? I simply want to allow North Amercia only calling for agents and will probably look into geo-IP blocking. Is this something that I will be able to implement on the OSDial All-In-One Install, or is it frowned upon?

Thanks!
cg180759

Re: Forgotten Admin Password & Security

Postby fadmin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:34 am

If you loose the password you need to change it in the db.
update osdial_users set pass="newpass" where user="admin";

Yes, you can install fail2ban and iptables. Note that if you are under heavy attack both can degrade your dialer simply from turning connection attempts away. Ideally you have a firewall in front that can handle the processing of connection attempts.
Forum Administrator
OSDial
http://osdial.com
fadmin
Site Admin

Re: Forgotten Admin Password & Security

Postby cg180759 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:55 pm

Thank you for the fast response. I ended up solving the problem by getting the password from the mysql osdial_users table where... it was stored in plain text! Did I do my installation wrong that it was showing up as so?

Do you recommend purchasing a hardware firewall then as opposed to using a software one like Fail2ban and IPTables? If so, is there any we can purchase from OSDial or one that you would recommend in this circumstance?

Thank you for the reply and awaiting hearing from you!
cg180759

Re: Forgotten Admin Password :$ & Security

Postby fadmin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:26 pm

Your border gateway should always be a hardware solution such as pfSense on a server.
http://pfsense.org under Hardware shows their solutions including those by other hardware manufacturers. You can find them from $250 and up and choose something that fits your needs and budget allowence.

pfSense is a complete firewall solution with built-in tools to fit pretty much all your needs. It is really the state of art firewall tool available at any price. Except it is Open Source... and a long term favorite of ours. pfSense is software running on top of the O/S FreeBSD. You can also install it on your own dedicate firewall computer. It even have a LiveCD option to test it before installing. You use their built-in tool to make a backup to your computer. Then if the firewall computer dies you simply do a default install on a new computer and restore the backup and you'll be up again in minutes.

Currently it's stored in cleartext, this may change in a future release.
Forum Administrator
OSDial
http://osdial.com
fadmin
Site Admin

Return to Security