Server not performing as expected - Cool and Quiet

For subjects not covered elsewhere

Server not performing as expected - Cool and Quiet

Postby peffersp » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:04 pm

I wanted to post this as informational for anyone who might have a similar problem. I just built a new 8 core server that was giving me problems when dialing on 15 or so lines - I was expecting much better performance than this considering I was upgrading from a dual core dell. It turns out that AMD's Cool and Quiet is not quite compatible out of the box(maybe with additional drivers it would work). Anyway, C&Q was limiting the CPUs to 800mhz, causing all kinds of call quality problems. After disabling in the BIOS, I am dialing on 20+ lines with no problems.
peffersp

Re: Server not performing as expected - Cool and Quiet

Postby fadmin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:39 pm

Your biggest limity is not the computer power but Asterisk. The professional version is rated to do 300 channels. With the not so good handling of channels, Asterisk uses at times up to 4 channels, briefly but still. That in effect means your max usable "lines" is about 100.

We've received reports of 83 agents on a single quad core CPU (enterprise server grade, not the quality you get from Dell). There were no recording or answering machine detection to consume additional resources. The highest calling capacity recorded is 283,000 calls per day from about 25 agents. That is a calling ratio af about 20. Both of these were accomplished on dual server clusters.

Eight cores is interesting but mostly useless as you can never reach what you'd think would be "capacity". On the other hand you have a set up which just idles along. We have also found that Intel is pretty much the only way to go. Plenty of odd issues from people using AMD.
Forum Administrator
OSDial
http://osdial.com
fadmin
Site Admin

Postby peffersp » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:19 pm

That is interesting. I went with an AMD chip because I had read about people having good luck with the AMD/Asterisk combo.
peffersp

Postby fadmin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:05 pm

This is not your average Asterisk use. This is very intense use of Asterisk. A fully modern dialer can put load and duress on a computer like nothing else. There is high volume of read and writes every second between all components.

We see people trying to use all sorts of hardware such as desktop computers, SATA drives etc. And in the case of SATA they wear out prematurely. We only use the best available, which is high end Supermicro, high end SCSI/SAS drives, all is enterprise server grade. Comes with three years next business day on-site warranty. Not your average computers. :)

We use it because its not unlike trying to win any race where you don't have proper equipment for the job. It is very frustrating to see people who think A=A=A when it comes to computers and network gear, who then turn around and try to blame us. They are usually the cheap skates who are only interested in a quick buck. When discovered we refuse to service them.

Not to say you cannot use your own equipment, but you need to know what you are getting into, or you may have a few surprises...
Forum Administrator
OSDial
fadmin
Site Admin

Postby peffersp » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:21 am

Ah.. So these are people might be using asterisk for one or two users... That makes sense.

Do you have a SAS controller that you would recommend?
peffersp

Postby fadmin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:04 pm

They could have hundreds of extensions. But they don't make new calls non stop, while simultaniously transferring and hanging up on others. It is that constant activity which creates the big load. Split second delays are enough to be fatal.

I'm afraid we don't recommend specific hardware. We do recommend to stay from low cost models, and buy the best your budget allows. As long as you pay for quality and support, it's cheaper in the long run. Of course, sometimes you might need to start with lower quality to make the money to buy the higher end later on.
Forum Administrator
OSDial
fadmin
Site Admin

Postby peffersp » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:44 pm

I see, that makes even more sense. Thank you.
peffersp

Return to General