Non standard port for incoming

For questions during install

Non standard port for incoming

Postby markfairchild » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:20 pm

Is it possible to configure OSDial to look for incoming SIP calls on a port other than 5060?

How would one do such a thing?
markfairchild

Re: Non standard port for incoming

Postby fadmin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

That's an unusual request, if you don't mind telling what is behind the need?
Forum Administrator
OSDial
http://osdial.com
fadmin
Site Admin

Postby markfairchild » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:21 pm

I am putting OSDial into our office, and we already have an existing Asterisk box - a FreePBX distro, actually. I order to receive calls on that existing system, I have port-forwarded port 5060 via our router to the IP address of that box.

I want to be able to operate the two systems, that is OSDial and the FreePBX distro, simultaneously, at least for a while. I see the OSDial system as sort of special-purpose, dedicated to "outreach" efforts, as opposed to our existing supporters and clients, who will continue to call in via the existing system.

The problem is, I can't have port 5060 pointed to two different boxes at the same time.

The thought has occurred to me, of course, that perhaps I could use IAX2 for the OSDial system, therefore using a different port, and solving the problem that way. But the only VoIP service provider I can find so far that offers IAX2 is binfone, and they charge twice as much as other providers.

Perhaps I could just use the IAX2 for incoming to the OSDial system only, and use SIP for outgoing, since we do about 90% outgoing and only 10% incoming, so the higher rate wouldn't be that big of an additional expense in that case.

Anyway, that's the thought process that motivated my question.

It also occurs to me, however, that having a non-standard port might be somewhat more secure, in the sense that hackers trolling around would be much less likely to try to hack a non-standard port.
markfairchild

Postby fadmin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:30 pm

If you have different carriers and a half way decent firewall you can simply route all SIP from one carrier to FreePBX and from another carrier to OSDial. That way you keep everything standard. A really good solution is pfSense. Based on FreeBSD and using Packet Filter (PF) from OpenBSD it is a very easily managed firewall through via browser and yet as powerful as any. To top it off it is available at no cost.
Forum Administrator
OSDial
http://osdial.com
fadmin
Site Admin

Return to Installation