Can't get softphone to register

For questions during install

Can't get softphone to register

Postby markfairchild » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:13 pm

Hi,

I am a brand new user to OSDial. I am having a problem getting a softphone to register with the system.

I downloaded the 32 bit .iso version, and installed it. I believe I have the network settings properly configured. I followed instructions for CentOS on how to assign the OSDial system a static IP address. When I do an ifconfig, it correctly shows the IP address I gave it. I also am able to use the command line of the OSDial box to ping google successfully, so this tells me it is connected to the internet, and that the DNS is working properly.

And, working from a Windows-based laptop, I can ping the address of the OSDial box, and I get immediate replies. I can also use the OSDial GUI interface - on another computer in the network, I point my browser to the IP address I assigned to
the OSDial box, and I am able to log in as admin, and use all the menus.

However, I cannot get a softphone to register with the system! It seems like it must be something very simple that I'm missing, but I can't figure it out.

I have another Asterisk box running in the same network (on a different address of course), and I am using X-Lite softphones with that system, so I am familiar with what needs to be done. But, when I try to get an X-Lite to register with OSDial, I get a message that says, "Registration error 403 - Forbidden". This same X-Lite immediately registers with my other Asterisk box on the network with no problem.

Which makes me think it must be a password problem. Am I not understanding which password to use? I go into the Setup-->Phones section of the OSDial menu system, and I choose phone extension 1000. So, the first entry is for "Phone Extension", which I leave as it is: 1000. Then, there's the Dial Plan Number, which is also 1000, and I leave it untouched. Then, there's "Login:" which is 1000. Next is password: I've tried several different entries here, but I presume this is the password which I need to enter into the X-Lite? The X-Lite has a field for the SIP Account settings of "User name", which in the other asterisk system I'm using, is where one must put the extension number. (In my experience "Display name" is basically irrelevant). Then, "Password" in the X-Lite is the password I've just described in the OSDial field. Then, "domain"
in the X-Lite entry is the IP address of the OSDial box.

And that should be it, shouldn't it? But, as I say, I'm getting this error! Is is possible there's some firewall configuration that I need to do on the OSDial box?
markfairchild

Re: Can't get softphone to register

Postby fadmin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:38 pm

There are three things needed, good luck, lot's of money and a nice girl. Oh, that's the wrong forum! Never mind! :)

There are three things needed. IP Address, Login Name and Password, as you pointed out. I seem to remember Asterisk says invalid login / password when you have the wrong combo. You don't mention where you see the error msg. The default is the same pwd as the login, very simple.
Of course you need to have a routeable address not 127.0.0.1.

If you start up Asterisk CLI you can see what occurs when you try to login. Get back with that and we'll see about sorting this out.
Run sip show peers as well (from CLI).
Forum Administrator
OSDial
http://osdial.com
fadmin
Site Admin

Postby markfairchild » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:34 pm

I used the CLI to determine that the error I was getting was "wrong password". Meanwhile, that made no sense at all. I tried several different passwords - entering it first into the OSDial system, and hitting "submit", then going over to X-Lite, putting in that same password, and trying to connect. Same result in all cases in the CLI - "wrong password".

Then, the system shut itself down. I got the message: Broadcast message from root@osdial-6dd6d2e6.osdial.com
(unknown) at 14:11 ...

The system is going down for halt NOW!

When I tried to start it back up, I got "kernel panic". And it won't boot. So, right now I'm running a "media check" on the installation media (from the same computer), and I guess I'll try some kind of recovery, even though I know very little about how to do such a thing.

Who knows? Could it be a hardware failure?
markfairchild

Postby markfairchild » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:40 pm

I reinstalled from DVD.

There is clearly something I do not understand about the phone extension and password.

I go into the Setup --> Phones page in the OSDial GUI, and I choose Exten 1000. It shows the page "Modify a Phone", with a password of 1000. I go to my softphone, and I enter in the relevant Big Three: the IP address, the "username" (i.e. the extension #) and the password (i.e. 1000). I'm using Zoiper softphone now: I hit the "Register" button - and - bingo !! I get a status message of "Registered".

Wonderful.

But, I get a big red warning across the top of the OSDial page - WARNING - Password is very insecure!! So, I appreciate that. I enter in a more secure password. I go to the Zoiper, put in the new password - I get the error "Not Registered".

I've tried many different passwords, shorter, longer, all digits, you name it, I can't get the softphone to register.

So, leaving the OSDial set to a password other than 1000, just for the heck of it, I thought I'd put 1000 back into the Zoiper softphone password field, and hit Register. Bingo! I get a status message of "Registered"!

How can this be? It appears that the OSDial system is completing ignoring my choice of passwords, and maintains the "1000" password, no matter what I set it to.

I go to the CLI facility - when I try to change the password for OSDial to something else - it would appear anything else - and then match it on the Zoiper - I get "Wrong Password" in the CLI, and "Not Registered" in Zoiper. When I put 1000 into the password field of the Zoiper - I get "Registered", and I get "Peer '1000' is now reachable" in the CLI, even though the "Modify a Phone" page says the password is set to something else.

There's only one field listed for "Password" in the OSDial "Modify a Phone" page, which is the one I'm changing, and then of course, hitting "Submit". It can't be I'm supposed to be changing the "Voicemail Password", can it?

Is there some permission I'm supposed to have to change the password? After I do type in a new password, and hit the "Submit" button, I get a message in the upper left "Phone Modified: 1000". If I then navigate away to another page, like "Show Phones", and then click on 1000, I am returned to the Modify a Phone page, and the change in the password is displayed properly.

So, it does appear the system is storing my changes to the password from the standpoint of the GUI, but not from the standpoint of the backend.

I am baffled.
markfairchild

Postby fadmin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:08 am

I've never ever heard of anything like your experience. Something is corrupt because changing password is as simple as changing the content in the password field and hitting submit.

OSDial does not have the ability to shut down your system. There's no code in it that can do that. The O/S of course does, but we never call it.
In fact checking around nobody has ever heard of anything remotely like it.

The kernel panic at boot fits as there obviously is something substantially wrong. If it was me, and not knowing anything about your h/w or the state it is in. I would work my way down these items to see if any solves it: ensuring all the fans are working, re-seating all expansion cards, the same with the ram, then if still no change I check the voltages to be within range, and finally I would remove the CPU checking the heat compound, and of course wipe it and re-apply a new paste.

It sounds like heat or power problem, but could also be a corrupt download, or DVD burn.
Forum Administrator
OSDial
fadmin
Site Admin

Postby markfairchild » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:05 pm

Thanks for your response.

I will re-download and re-burn and re-install, after making hardware checks.

Is there an MD5sum for the 32 bit .iso?
markfairchild

Postby fadmin » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:13 am

Forum Administrator
OSDial
fadmin
Site Admin

Postby markfairchild » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:07 pm

** SOLVED **

I re-downloaded the 32-bit .iso file, and re-burned the DVD, after checking the MD5SUM. I re-installed, and it seems to be working as I would expect it would. I am able to change the password in the OSDial GUI, and then go to the softphone, and enter in the new password, and the softphone registers, no problem. Moreover, I go to the Asterisk CLI, and give it a

sip show peers

and it shows the softphone at the IP address at which I would expect.

Thanks!
markfairchild

Postby fadmin » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:19 pm

Thanks for the update! I'm glad we found the why!
Forum Administrator
OSDial
fadmin
Site Admin

Return to Installation